Your floors are speaking to you.
If you have modern wood or laminate floors and they creak then something is wrong. These modern floors systems are like a giant jigsaw puzzle that locks together and sits on top of your subfloor. Through the seasons your floor will expand and contract, and this is why it is important to have an expnasion gap around the edge of your floor when it is fitted.
The creaking occurs when you floor has gone through a number of these expansion/contraction cycles and the interlocking sections that lock each plank to the next change shape. This creates gaps and thus, when you walk on your floor it moves slightly causing the interlocking sections to creak.
We have found this is the cause for about 80% of creak problems in engineered and laminate flooring.
Stop Creak™ works by lubricating these joints with a special resin that does not stain wood and lasts for years.
If after using Stop Creak™ your floor continues to creak, then the cause of your creaking is likely down to the following:
1) You have a floor without visible grooves and Stop Creak™ could not penetrate to the joints
2) Your subfloor is creaking (Joist, nails holding the subfloor or loose noggins could all be the cause)
3) Your floor was fitted without the correct underlay or no underlay. This cause the back of your floor panels to rub on the wood subfloor
4) When your floor was fitted it did not have a large enough expansion gap and is now sitting "tight" across the floor.
In all four examples you will either need to buy a kit with screws or call a flooring expert to to find root cause of the creaks.
What is Stop Creak™?
- Safe to use in the home
- Designed specifically to lubricate click system wood and laminate floors
- Quickly dries to create a hard wearing. long-lasting frictionless coating
- Oil-free - does not attract dust, oil or dirt
- Protects against wear between wood joints
- Repels moisture from spillages and humidity
We cannot guarantee that Stop Creak™ will work on your floor because there are many reasons why floors creak. If your floor is a click system, grooved laminate or wood floor and the creaks seem to be coming from the flooring (rather than the subfloor) then Stop Creak™ has a good chance of working great.
Stop Creak™ can also be used to lubricate locks, hinges, windows, doors, bike chains and moving parts that are exposed to extreme temperatures.